Part 7 M. Spark “The Portobello Road” Задание 1 - страница №1/1
Здесь я должна сказать, что рассталась с жизнью около пяти лет назад. Но в то же время я не покинула этот мир. Существуют некоторые дела, которые надо сделать и с которыми никогда не сможет сделать нотариус. Даже порванные уже нотариусами дела должны быть пересмотрены. Много занятий, кроме конечно воскресений и праздников, много интересного, пока можно интересоваться. Я воссоздаюсь по утрам в субботу. Если в субботу идет дождь, я гуляю по мокрым улочкам Вулфворта, как делала это, пока была молодой и видимой. Милые витрины с предметами, которые я теперь воспринимаю и понимаю несколько отстраненно, как и должно в моем состоянии. Крема, зубная паста, расчески и носовые платки, хлопковые перчатки, невесомые цветастые платки, бумага для письма и цветные мелки, шарики мороженного и оранжад, отвертки, коробки гвоздей, тюбики краски, клея, баночки варенья…я всегда любила их, но отныне я могу легко обойтись без всего этого. Когда в субботу замечательная погода, я вместо этого иду на Портобелло Роуд, куда раньше ездили мы с Кэтлин. Товар почти не изменился - все те же яблоки, голубые и розовые платья из вискозы, подносы, чайники и кофеварки, которые переходили из рук продавцов в руки покупателей.
Некоторые магазинчики пошли на слом, и вместо них появились красивые павильоны, но товар остался прежним: ложки, кольца, серьги из бирюзы и опала, брелки со старинными миниатюрами, пуговицы и шотландские каменья.
Иногда в субботу утром происходит важное событие – моя подруга Кэтлин, католичка, заказывает мессу по мне, и тогда я обязательно присутствую в церкви, в которой это происходит.
1. One summer day lying on the haystack with friends, she found a needle in it. She had thrust her idle hand deep into the hay and her thumb was where the needle had stuck. She was often told that she was a lucky person but, in fact, she was usual or even more unlucky than the others were.
2. Needle talks about her life herself. She enjoyed every day. She just did what she wanted. She came in London to have a journalist practice. She taught little children and then completely devoted herself to writing articles. She achieved big success. Then she got to know George’s secret and finally he killed her because he didn’t want her to tell anyone abut his secret. Needle was a strong but light-headed woman.
3. The four friends spent much time together in their childhood. Then it became a habit that could be easily broken by distance. They liked each other and spent time together with pleasure, wrote letters. Kathleen was from a prosperous family with useful contacts. She was quite pride and rather strong woman. George was just miserable and mean. He often acted making no sense on affect of feelings. Skinny was very keen on archeology and he liked Needle, may be even loved.
4. One Saturday we found a body of a dead woman in a haystack. The woman was throttled. We also found a bottle of fresh milk and tracks of another person being there. They were sitting there for some time when the murder did it. We asked the byreman and found out that the woman had left him with a man, George, but his girl-friend convinced the trial that he cold not kill her because they were friends for long time. His aunt confirmed that he was out for only 10 minutes though the aunt can’t be sure about time. Therefore, we have no more ideas about the murderer.
5. Needle is the narrator, but she is a ghost already. From this point of view as a dead person, the narrator can be objective talking about all the facts.
6. George kept returning there because he might want to say sth to Needle or just to talk to her. He was tied with the other three friends most and the knowledge that the woman is there, very close to him, didn’t let him be quite. Then he just became crazy.
7. In the beginning, we see the very start of the story of Needle and then at once its finish. Then the author tells the story in the right time order. Only in the end everything ends on the photograph. It is done so to show the clear limits of the story.
Muriel Sarah Camberg is an English novelist, the poet and the critic. Was born in Edinburgh in 1918, went to school James Gillespi. In days of the Second World War worked in the device of military investigation. In 1947-1949 edited magazine "The Poetry Review". In the satirical products, describing human meanness and vanity, Spark aspired to comprehend secret and horror of life, death and eternity – universal things that her educated characters are ready to neglect. For example, in novel ‘Memento Mori’ old people whom the death carries away one behind another, before the end are engaged in idle quarrels and squaring of accounts. In the novel ‘The Girls of Slender Means’, (1963) the company of men and women arranges "competition" of rather vicious property, and all of them ridiculously perish from explosion of the bomb which have remained from war. Among novels Spark-‘Robinson’, (1958); ‘Ballad of Pickham Rye’, (1960); Bachelors (1960); ‘The Mandelbaum Gates’, (1965); ‘Not to Disturb’, (1972); ‘The Abbess of Crewes’, (1974); the Territorial rights (1979); ‘Loitering with Intent’, (1981); ‘A Far Cry From Kensington’, (1988). She wrote also monographies: ‘John Masefield’, (1953); ‘Emily Bronte, Her Life and Work’, (1953) and ‘Mary Shelley, A Biography’, (1987), four collections of stories – ‘Go-Away Bird and Other Stories’, (1958), ‘Voices at Play’, (1961), ‘Collected Stories’, (1968), ‘The Stories of Muriel Spark’, (1987), ‘Collected Poems’, (1967) and the play ‘Doctors of Philosophy’, (1963). For her story ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’, (1961) has been put play and is shot a film (1968).
The story begins with the acquaintance with the four friends when the narrator gets his nickname. Needle, Kathleen, Skinny and George are the best friends but having finished school they work in different places. George goes to Africa because of his uncle’s affairs. There George marries his “Dark Lady” Matilda and one day tells about it to Needle asking her not to open his secret to anyone. Skinny graduates from the London University as an archeologist Kathleen goes to London to work in a shop where she is taken through acquaintances. Needle comes there, too, to become a journalist. She is engaged with Skinny but in a month gives the ring back to him. They two go to Africa: Skinny to work and Needle to be with him; but soon the woman comes back to London. Some time later, there goes George. He wants to marry Kathleen and when he finds out that Needle is going to tell Kathleen his secret, he kills Needle. However, the police don’t find the murder. Five years later Needle-ghost meets George and Kathleen on Portobello Road. Seeing Needle there, George loses his mind. Though in Canada he gets some relief to his craziness, he will never be again the old George that has been known by everyone.